Friday, October 23, 2009

LOST Day 5, Wednesday


Today was the first official day of the ASHG conference, so Lily and I were going to be on our own. We started off by going to breakfast together at an IHOP across the street, which went pretty well. I thought the Honolulu zoo would be good morning activity, so packed up our things, and hoped in the car for a quick trip to the zoo.

When we got there, the parking lot was all meters, and I had no change. This was not good. I had also forgotten the sunscreen. Also not good, as we are in Hawaii. I quickly spotted an ABC store, which are ubiquitous convenient stores in Hawaii, that carry just about everything. In Waikiki, you can literally stand in one ABC store, and look down the street to find the next one, and so on. I found a dime under then passenger seat that bought me 6 minutes of meter time, and darted across the street to get more change, sunscreen, and some cold water.

The Zoo was very nice, however, 9AM on a Wednesday is not exactly the best time to go. There were very few people there, which was nice. There were also very few animals there…which was a little disappointing. Many of the animals were behind the scenes while the exhibits were being cleaned or repaired. We got see most of our favorites thought (elephants, giraffes, rhinos, birds, tigers, monkeys, and lots of birds). Lily was particularly interested in a peacock that was roaming the grounds.

After a few hours at the zoo, we headed back to the hotel to meet Carrie for lunch and naps.


In the afternoon, we decided to head to the pool, in full pool garb, including our super-stylish sunglasses. The pool at the hotel is surrounded by patio chairs full of people. Lily liked to play on the steps, close to the people, putting on quite a show of splashing and jumping for those watching her.


That afternoon, we decided to find a local bike shop. It was kind of a pain to get the car back from the valet, so we decided to walk. It was only a 1.5 miles, in the afternoon, through the middle of Waikiki. Three (3) miles round trip, with an 18month old in a stroller is a lot farther than you think. Thanks for that, google maps.

Lily handled our sojourn quite well though, and was excited to touch the bright little tricycles.


Here are some pics from that day.

No comments:

I am gonna get you, sucka!

One of Lily's trademark features has been her general fearlessness. She lives to jump off of things. I remember watching her run full ...