Sunday, May 18, 2008

Lily's First Road Trip


Today, Lily went for her first road trip, and travelled further from home than she has ever been. Before we left, I asked her one favor-"Please don't make the longest trip of your life the longest trip of mine." I am happy to report, that she couldn't have been better!

The family drove down to Louisville this morning for the baptism of Lily's second cousin, or my first cousin once removed (I married a genetic counselor, whose knowledge of family pedrigree terminology is second to none).

Not only was this Lily's first road trip, but it was also her first introduction to nearly half of her extended family, which currently extends 5 generations (that's right, Lily has a Great Great Grandmother)

As can be expected, the day offered an endless number of familial hands reaching out to hold her for just a few minutes. And while, Carrie and I were both happy to have a few minutes with complete use of both of our hands while being sans Lily, I am not sure either one of us really let her out of our sight.

I don't want to give the impression that my family is suspect of baby theivery, but after weeks of holding her nearly 24/7, it's was hard to let go. And while everyone single person holding her today was experienced in the art of baby holding (having between 1-5 children of their own), it is was hard not to provide some helpful tips about how to hold my baby.
The trip home was equally uneventful. On a side note, being a Sunday in May meant that Lily and I got to watch a few hours of that day's Giro d'Italia stage. I am sure she shared my disappointment seeing Il Grillo, Paolo Bettini lose the stage in a photo finish.

No comments:

I am gonna get you, sucka!

One of Lily's trademark features has been her general fearlessness. She lives to jump off of things. I remember watching her run full ...