Thursday, May 8, 2008

Lily is radioactive!


In the three short weeks since becoming parents, Carrie and I have experienced a transformation similar to Bruce Banner or Diana Prince. In short, Lily, much like excessive amounts of Gamma Rays, has given us Super Powers abilities!

So far these are the changes we've observed:


  1. Super Sonic Hearing-Having both been pretty sound sleepers a month ago we now awaken to the slightest whimper, or sound of a bink falling on cradle sheets.

  2. Ninja-like Stealth- We live in an older home with original wood floors...that creak. In the last three weeks we've developed the ability to glide silently around the house, like pajama-clad ninjas, in our desperate attempts to let sleeping babes lie. Unfortunately, I think that Lily has also developed Super Power #1, so it is kind of a wash.

  3. Night Vision- for fear of waking Lily in the middle of the night, or in attempts to coax her back to sleep, Carrie and I have managed to navigate the second floor of our house in utter darkness, yet we are able to somehow see everything need to avoid bumping ourselves into.

  4. Enhanced Immunity to Infection-I would have to say that Lily's arrival has boosted our immune systems to Super Power level, as we have been infection free ever since. It could have something to do with the fact that we now wash our hands roughly 200 times a day.

  5. Stamina-During the night, Lily will repeat a cycle of feeding off-and-on for 45 minutes, squirming for 30 minutes, and sleeping for 90 minutes. Repeat. You would think that loosing this much sleep in a night would make you a bit frazzled. Not us.

  6. The Ability to Make Time Stand Still- OK, this is not so much our Super Power, as Lily's. it's 4:10 in the AM, you think you have her into deep enough sleep to slip her into the cradle, but decide to rock her for 5 more minutes to be safe. I guarantee, those are the longest 5 minutes of your life. I usually only make to 3min before pulling off an ill-fated cradle drop-n-rock.

  7. Super Human Speed (efficiency, really)-With limited time, and increased house-work, we have become the more efficient than ever. We can clean dishes, put away dinner, change a load of laundry, and break out dessert in the span of a single TV commercial break!

So far we have chosen to use our new found powers for only good, and really only keeping Lily happy, which luckily isn't too difficult. Just like a real Super Hero, I find myself becoming occasionally contemplative and introspective. As I write this, I wonder if Lily will ever view us as her Super Heroes?

1 comment:

Josh and Jennifer Matson said...

It's a totally thankless job, but someone has to do it! Rest assured knowing that even though Lily couldn't care less, the other members of the parent club totally get it and knew you would adapt well. ;)

I am gonna get you, sucka!

One of Lily's trademark features has been her general fearlessness. She lives to jump off of things. I remember watching her run full ...