Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Do you hear something?


It has been a Shockingly long time since I have posted anything. During this time, though, Lily has picked up a Shockingly diverse set of skills. My last post was all about Lily’s trip to the doctor and unfortunately, this post will be about the same, as the summer has been a little rough on my little girl.

In the last few months, Lily has gone through a lot of changes. She gets a little congested now and then, she decides to sleep most of the day, gets a little fussy during the day (I like to refer to this as Lily wearing her crabby-pants. If you are wondering, Mommy has a matching pair of crabby-pants as well).

The availability the ear thermometer is a blessing and a curse. Because it is so easy to take her temperature, we do it a lot. I am not kidding, we do it A LOT.

About three weeks ago, Lily got pretty sick with a fever going over 103 degrees. Needless to say, she was not a happy baby. It turns out that she had a urinary tract infection (yes, they had to catheterize her). After an antibiotic shot, and follow-up round of oral antibiotics, she is right as rain, and her usual happy self again, despite the apparent GI distress an antibiotic can cause for babies.

During these last few weeks, Carrie and I have recognized a very clear difference in parenting style, especially when it comes to her being sick, or rather us thinking she is sick.

Carrie, as a genetic counselor, sees sick babies all day, everyday. Not only that, but she often sees babies with untreatable conditions. Couple this predisposition, with normal mommy-sense (kind of like spidey-sense) and she is a bit prone to be a little bit more aware of and concerned by very subtle changes in Lily’s behavior and mood.

I, on the other hand am blissfully unaware of most of the common things babies can contract. In general, I have a bit of a laissez fair parenting style anyway. If she is a bit off, I usually just say “Babies sleep. That’s what they do.” Or "Babies cry. That’s what they do.”.

One of Carrie’s former colleagues had a saying that in medicine, when you hear hooves, think horses, not zebras. When Lily is a bit out of her routine, I sometimes think Carrie is quick to think of the zebras. I on the other hand think I am just hearing things. Usually we balance each other out, resulting in a very colorful horse, or very drab zebra.

For picture fans, I have posted some new pics here.

No comments:

I am gonna get you, sucka!

One of Lily's trademark features has been her general fearlessness. She lives to jump off of things. I remember watching her run full ...